Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Thing #4 of the 23 Things on a Stick

O.k. I just finished signing up for a Flickr account. It was really easy. I put a few pictures on the account, and then posted one to my Blog.

I just came back from Hawaii and between my husband and myself we took almost 800 digital photos. My husband just spend a lot of time last weekend sorting thru the pictures and figuring out which ones to print, then we had to go out and find a photo album that would work, and then he spent HOURS putting them in the album. And then, like the short video clip I watched on Flickr suggested the photo album just sits on the shelf. This Flickr account would work great for the Hawaii photos. You could easily organize them by the tag you used, such as surfers, sunsets, valcanoes. Also many of our family members live out of state, so by using the Flickr account we could easily share photos by the computer. All of our family has computers and Internet access. Plus think of all of the money and time we would save! I also really like the idea of the photos being saved on the web. My husband tends to just store the pictures he takes on the computer.Like the video said you are more likely to have a virus or something than have your house burn. They are probably safer on the web, or at least that would be another place they would be located, so you wouldn't lose them.
I just got a digital camera for Christmas, so I know I will be taking lots more photos. This will be a great tool to have. I also like the idea of the other photos on their by other people. It might be a good place to get a photo you might need for a publicity idea.

I looked at the displays they had on the web at St. Ben's. What a "user friendly" way to browse for books at home. I would like it as a patron. Wouldn't it take a lot of staff time to keep up on something like that?

1 comment:

PatriciaP said...

Hey, you are so right about sharing pictures. I have found this especially helpful since I have grandbabies, who change so quickly. We can each easily load our pictures up on Flickr so we can all get at them. Very helpful, and it spreads the cost of printing around a bit too. Love it.

Patricia P
CMLE