Sunday, February 24, 2008

Thing #2 of 23 things on a stick

I watched the video and read the articles. I can understand both sides. I personally enjoy learning new things--that is one of the things I like about my job. Every day I learn something new. I also don't like to look dumb. So, I like to try to keep up with the new technology as much as I can. I at least want to try to keep ahead of most of my patrons so I can try to help them, and so I don't look dumb!
Our job is to try to meet the needs and desires of our patrons, which are constantly changing. Technology is becoming a bigger part of their needs and desires every day. We need to try to keep up with it. Like one of the articles stated the young people that are very techy are our future taxpayers and voters. We want to keep them happy. When I first started at the Princeton Area Library over 21 years ago, we did not have that many teenagers coming into our library. Today we do. The library is now a "cool" place for them to be. We want them to feel comfortable there, and they do.
I am glad they have offered the 23 Things on a Stick. It has been challenging for me to try to keep up, especially since I just had a 2 week vacation in Hawaii during part of our time. (notice my Avatar reflects my trip. But it is also great incentive to do this. There is a prize at the end, and other people in the library field are doing it with me!
The label "Library 2.0" is confusing to some, what does it mean, who coined the term? Well, now I know after doing the readings. I guess it was just a catchy phrase. Well, time for bed.. Sorry about the misspellings...

No comments: